I've seen both post and poste used in various places. Normally the -e ending signifies an adverb, but post is already an adverb on its own (as I understand it).

Is it an error to use poste, or does it have some different meaning?

Post on its own is a preposition, not an adverb, meaning that it describes a relationship between two entities (usually nouns or phrases). Poste is an adverb that modifies a verb. Examples:

1. La hundo iras post mi -> "The dog is going after/behind me". Post describes the relationship between me and the dog
  2. La hundo iris post kiam mi iris -> "The dog went after I went". Post describes the relationship between the time the dog went and the time I went.
  3. Mi ne volas iri nun. Mi iros poste. -> "I don't want to go now. I will go later". Poste modifies iri.
    Kutime oni diras "post kiam mi iris". – kristan Sep 27 '16 at 7:07
  • @kristan Thank you, I was thinking of "antaŭ". I have edited that example. – Chives Sep 27 '16 at 14:50

Post is a preposition, meaning "after". It can function as an adverb together with other words, for example:
Mi dormos post horo.

Poste on the other hand, is an adverb on its own, meaning "later".
Mi dormos poste.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.