What is the translation of candy in Esperanto? Online, I found many translations, e.g. kando, dolĉaĵo, and bombono. What are the differences between these?

And there is frandaĵo
    – Joop Eggen
    Commented Oct 1, 2016 at 21:19
  • Ho, ege interese! Tiun mi ne trovis. Tiu estas ankaux tre gxenerala cxu ne? Povas esti ankaux salgustajxoj. Commented Oct 1, 2016 at 21:29
  • Kaj ĝi havas diversajn vortformojn, de frandi ĝis frandemulo, kio ne estas facile esprimebla per aliaj vortoj. Ĝi estas pli ĝenerala, kvankam mia nederlandlingva traduko por frandi = snoepen precipe estas por dolĉaĵoj kiel bombonoj kaj ĉokolado.
    – Joop Eggen
    Commented Oct 1, 2016 at 21:46
  • Frandaĵo does not refer to candy. Any fine food can be a frandaĵo. Commented Oct 2, 2016 at 20:38

2 Answers 2

The definitions in Plena Ilustrita Vortaro give useful guidance.

I think the best answer is bombono for all kinds of small sweet pieces consisting mostly of sugar, chocolate, fruit and other ingredients.

Dolĉaĵo (something sweet) is more general. Bombonoj are dolĉaĵoj but so are sweet pastries and cookies and cakes and even the sweet words you are pouring over your dearest one.

Kando and karamelo are more specialized words. Both consist essentially of pure sugar.

Frandaĵo is anything you consider really good-tasting.

There are certainly differences between different Englishes in the use of words like candy, sweets and others. But I suppose the useful words in Esperanto are bombono and dolĉaĵo.

I would use dolĉajo to refer to general 'candy' concept. It literally means 'sweet thing'. If you want to say 'I'll buy you some candy for your birthday' and you go and buy a lot of sweets then you should use dolĉajo.

Kando is a specific type of candy, sugar candy according to Reta Vortaro.

Bombono is a small candy, generally involving chocolate. You can see pictures of 'bombón' (the Spanish word) in Google to give you an idea.

Can't dolcxajxo mean other sweet things too? Like cookies and desserts? Commented Oct 1, 2016 at 20:50
    If you don't need to be too specific you can use it, yes. Commented Oct 1, 2016 at 20:52
  • I've always understood "kando" to be the transparent sugar that coats things like candied fruit. The PIV definition is a little more clear than the ReVo definition. Commented Oct 2, 2016 at 20:35
  • Pictures meant to illustrate a similar-looking Spanish word don't qualify as an answer when we are talking about words in Esperanto. Commented Oct 6, 2016 at 15:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.