Does every question in Esperanto have to be formed with ĉu or one of the ki- words (kie, kio, kiam,... etc) ?

The answer is no. This is discussed in PMEG, section 22.3, Demandoj sen demandovorto.

They normally take one of two forms:

• Sentence fragments, usually 2-3 words: Via nomo? Efektive? Sed la teo?
  • Declarative statements with doubtful nuance: Do vi ne deziras teon? Kaj pro tio vi perdis la bileton?

In these situations the question-word is being omitted for the sake of conversational neatness: they could be rephrased as Kio estas via nomo? Ĉu efektive? Sed kiel estu la teo traktata? etc.

How about the following? Would this be incorrect: "Ŝatas lerni? Volas lerni alian lingvon?" I saw someone post something similar to this on Facebook a while back. It seems the subject "You" is implied. – Chris McDowell Oct 5 '16 at 17:21
    It is permissible if the intended subject is really obvious. However, it cannot be done all the time, as the absence of a subject can change the meaning of the sentence: for example, Ŝi estas infano means "She is a child" but Estas infano means "There's a child." – Andrew Woods Oct 5 '16 at 17:44
  • I understand. The person who posted that way had mentioned elsewhere that he was fluent in Esperanto, so I thought maybe he knew something I didn't. – Chris McDowell Oct 5 '16 at 17:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.