Some people think the word akcento is not suited for regional accent, such as the Italian accent. Akcento is about strength and emphasis and not about a particular way of speaking.

Which word should I use?

4 Answers 4

The word you're looking for is akĉento:

akĉent/o Λ Tuto de la artikulaciaj kutimoj de parolanto aŭ grupo de parolantoj (pro trajtoj dialektaj aŭ socilingvaj, influo de denaska lingvo ks), kiu aspektas nenorma en la kadro de difinita lingvo: havi sudan, kamparan, usonan akĉenton.

PIV

To help remember which word is which, I remember the phrase "fortaj akĉentoj en esperanto estas aĉaj". both aĉa and akĉento have the ĉ.
    – Neil Roberts
    Commented Oct 8, 2016 at 12:15

You could also say "regiona prononcmaniero", which is simply "regional manner of pronunciation". "Prononcmaniero" on its own just means "manner of pronunciation", so doesn't necessarily refer to a regional accent, but as far as I understand, it can encompass that meaning.

I don't see "prononcmaniero" in PIV nor in ReVo nor the Lernu dictionary; I do see it in my usual go-to, Tuja Vortaro. I also find 10 instances of it using Tekstaro de Esperanto--and beyond that all I can say is, the word came to mind because I can tell you anecdotally that I have seen people using it and have often and since long ago used it myself as a synonym for akĉento and/or to refer to someone's pronunciation in general whether I am talking about their regional/national accent or just their particular pronuncation of a certain sound or word.

I do agree that akĉento is the word you are looking for, but I thought I would bring up this other one too. I couldn't tell you specifically how I learned it, I was fairly young when I learned Esperanto and generally built up my vocabulary through (online) immersion and conversation, so my anecdotal usages might not be proper, but in my experience they are common and I don't usually find people stopping me to ask what I mean. I'd appreciate it if someone else might confirm having seen this word around, I was surprised not to see it in several dictionaries. Perhaps that's because it's a compound word but I would have thought it was common enough to have its own definition.

• I can confirm; I have heard this as well. Commented Oct 7, 2016 at 19:42

The word is akĉento. It filled a lexical gap. I have certainly been familiar with it since the 1980s.

While I prefer to keep the words akcento and akĉento distinct, I don't correct people who say akcento where I would say akĉento. This usage is well-established in Esperanto. In the Tekstaro akcento with this meaning is as common as akĉento.

• fortan malagrablan voĉon kun hebrea akcento
  • eĉ diverslandajn “akcentojn”
  • li parolis kun iu fremdlanda akcento.
  • La nigraĉaj akcentoj de Deep South Suite

My understanding is that akĉento is a relatively recent coinage. I am unable to find it in my 1970 edition of PIV.

My advice: say akĉento in this situation, but don't correct people who say akcento because they're in good company.

• La signifo de akĉento certe ne estas unu el la signifoj de akcento en PIV. Do mi nur povas konkludi, ke tia uzo de akcento estas erara. Ĉar akĉento ankoraŭ ne estis en tiu malnova eldono de PIV, bonvolu doni la signofojn de akcento de tiu eldono. Commented Oct 7, 2016 at 11:10
    An alternative explanation is that the definitions in PIV are not complete. The use of akcento for a regional accent goes back to the earliest days of Esperanto. If it is an error, it is an error that is, according to what I found in tekstaro.com, at least as common as the "correct" way to say it. To underscore, I agree that akĉento is the better choice - however, to call akcento an error, is a bit of a stretch. Commented Oct 7, 2016 at 11:25
    That makes sense. However, perhaps it just used to be correct for the lack of a better word. Considering that PIV adopted the word akĉento while leaving the definition of akcento without this meaning seems to not only indicate that really the word we ought to use is akĉento, but moreover that we should not use akcento for this meaning. You do have a point though and I'd be interested to see what PIV used to say for akcento. Did they actually remove the meaning of akĉento from akcento or was it never there? Commented Oct 7, 2016 at 11:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.