Word-Building with Esperanto Affixes says that gea means male+female, and Wiktionary says it means both sexes, mixed.

Can I use it to mean a person having the reproductive organs of both genders, or does it have a completely different meaning and I should not use for such meaning?

Although you could use it to describe a single person having mixed gender, I think that would be a pretty unusual usage and it would be more common to describe a mixed group of people or a location that is suitable for any gender. Here are some examples from Monato:

Krom la tradiciaj ekleziaj lernejoj unuseksaj, estis fonditaj en la du landpartoj de la irlanda insulo pluraj nesektecaj aŭ interkonfesiaj geaj lernejoj.

Here gea lernejo is used to describe a school that both boys and girls can attend.

Tial fine oni iom kompromisis: samseksaj paroj sub la nova leĝo estos ĉiurilate egalaj al geaj paroj, kun la escepto, ke gejaj kaj lesbaj paroj rajtos leĝe adopti infanojn nur el Nederlando mem.

Here gea paro describes a couple that has both a man and a woman. (This sounds confusingly similar to geja paro which is used in the same sentence!)

PMEG says that in practice this word isn’t used very often outside of being a prefix.

To specify having both sexes it may be better to use the word ambaŭseksa which appears in PIV as follows:

ambaŭseksa, duseksa. Havanta ambaŭ seksojn: helikoj estas ambaŭseksaj; duseksa floro. Sin. hermafrodita.

• Could not gea paro be written as geparo? – kiamlaluno Oct 7 '16 at 16:16
  • @kiamlaluno Yes, I don’t see why not. However it only appears once in Tekstaro and that is just as an example of a creative word, so maybe it isn’t very common. But of course it is completely understandable and Esperanto is more open to making up words on the spot so that doesn’t mean it’s a bad word. – Neil Roberts Oct 7 '16 at 17:26
  • Actually, that is like writing suna sistemo instead of sunsistemo. I have always thought that using sunsistemo would be more Esperantisque than using suna sistemo, but indeed both are correct. – kiamlaluno Oct 7 '16 at 20:54
  • @kiamlaluno Wouldn't that more likely mean something more like "a member of a group of paroj kaj parinoj" – in other words, not much? – La Vo-o Feb 22 '17 at 12:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.