Since swag generally means the coolness of a person (e.g. I have swag, I am a swaggy person), would mojosegeco or mojoseco be a good translation for swag?

Mmh. I know 'swag' as a term for free stuff you get eg at a conference, such as bags, pens, and other things. Never come across it in this meaning before. – Oliver Mason Oct 11 '16 at 16:01
    @OliverMason Really? Interesting :D I've only ever heard it in the sense of "cool". But to me it's alsways been a slang, so I have no idea what the official meaning is, if it has one. – Antonia Montaro Oct 11 '16 at 19:33
  • It would be helpful if you could provide an example that could clarify the meaning. "I have swag" and "I am swaggy" only mean anything if the listener already knows what swag means -- and based on the replies, and comments, it doesn't seem like that's the case. – Tomaso Alexander Oct 12 '16 at 4:00

I’m not super hip with the lingo of today’s youth, but I’ve heard that swag comes from swagger, which is a verb that is translated to Esperanto as paradi or pavi (literally “to peacock”). If you wanted to maintain that connotation, you could use parademo/pavemo, paradeco/paveco, ktp. That implies a degree of arrogance that the word swagger carries.

Otherwise, mojosa seems to be the catch-all for positive slang terms. Lernu lists 'cool', 'awesome', 'groovy', 'radical', and 'epic'. To turn that into a noun, you would use mojoseco.

Very simplified, swag has two meanings

• cool
  • not cool (because it is forced)

depending on context. Therefore, I would translate swaggy into mojosa or mojosaĉa/malmojosa depending on which of the two meanings is the intended.

It seems to me that you're piling slang upon slang and the expense of clarity.

Urban dictionary defines "swag" as... well... as a word that respectable people don't use. (Their definition was much more colorful than my summary here.) On top of that mojosa is widely overused - especially by new learners and anglophones who don't understand that "cool" means many more things in the English speaking world than it does in the worlds of the other languages which have borrowed this word.

Take a look in a thesaurus and find another word for the idea you're trying to express with "swag" and ask about that. It would help if you put it in context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.