E.g. the sentences

• mi volus salti.
  • mi saltus.

both mean something related to wanting to jump. What is the difference between these two forms?

Actually, just one of those phrases means something related to wanting to jump. Mi saltus doesn't necessarily mean I would want to jump or I want to jump. – kiamlaluno Oct 14 '16 at 5:59

Mi volus salti only states that I would want to jump, but not that I necessarily would do so.

Mi saltus means that I would jump, not just want to but actually do it (in whatever the context is).

• Mi saltus sur la tegmenton de nubskrapanto por savi vin!
    (I would jump onto the roof of a skyscraper to save you!)
  • Se li enirus la ĉambron, mi volus elsalti tra la fenestro!
    (If he entered the room, I'd want to jump out the window!)
  • "Sed kion vi farus, se leono aperus nun?" "Kompreneble, mi simple saltus en la aŭton!"
    ("But what would you do, if a lion appeared now?" "Of course, I'd just jump into the car!")
  • Se mi estus en la supra etaĝo de brulanta domo, mi certe volus salti tra la fenestro. Sed eble mia fobio de altaĵoj malebligus tion.
    (If I were in the upper story of a burning house, I'd certainly want to jump through the window. But perhaps my fear of heights would prevent that.)
| improve this answer | |
  • Isn't If I were in the upper story supposed to be If I were in the upper floor (or If I were on the upper floor)? – kiamlaluno Oct 14 '16 at 6:05
  • @kiamlaluno I usually hear "story", but "floor" is another term for it; which term is more common may depend on where you are. (And with "floor" you would be on and not in it (at least as far as I've heard)). – kristan Oct 14 '16 at 7:48

Mi volus salti on its own means "I would like to jump", which is a weaker form of "I want to jump." It suggests either that you probably won't jump, or that your statement is a request that you be allowed to jump. See PMEG for discussion of this use of volus without a condition.

Se mi sidus sur varma forno, mi volus salti means "If I were sitting on a hot stove, I would want to jump."

Mi saltus means "I would jump." Presumably a possible situation has just been mentioned.

| improve this answer | |
  • Mi volus salti seems more like I would want to jump. – kiamlaluno Oct 14 '16 at 5:28
  • Yes, when a condition is supplied. See the 2nd paragraph. – Andrew Woods Oct 14 '16 at 9:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.