Despite believing that I knew the rules behind the use of adjectives vs. adverbs in certain sentences, it feels like I could be missing some nuance somewhere.

For the sake of the question, let's use the example:

You look good today.

Translating this I would produce:

Vi aspektas bona hodiaŭ.

With the understanding that bon- should end with the adjective ending a since it describes a quality of the pronoun vi.

But I've also seen people write:

Vi aspektas bone hodiaŭ.

And of course, I'd happily write:

Mi fartas bone.

Since bone is describing how I'm faring (the action), not a direct attribute of me.

So it feels like my logic above is completely wrong, and that there should be an adverb following aspektas rather than an adjective.

Can someone provide a clearer explanation regarding the use of the adverb vs. adjective here? Which one is correct, and is there some nuance around it?

This question might provide some help: esperanto.stackexchange.com/questions/930/… – Antonia Montaro Oct 16 '16 at 14:30
  • @AntoniaMontaro Thanks – this pretty much covers what I was asking. Mods: if you want to close this as a dup of the linked question, I'm cool with that. – Martin Oct 16 '16 at 14:45
  • It's cool to see that somebody else thought of the same thing as I did :) – Antonia Montaro Oct 16 '16 at 14:56

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.