How to translate "You have successfully pledged €149.00 to Amikumu" ?

Could it be "sincere promesi"?

• Bonvenon al Stack Exchange, Yves! Mi gxojas vidi vin cxi tie! :-D Kaj ege bona demando. Oct 19, 2016 at 21:31
  • Simpla "promesi" pli ol sufiĉas.
    – Lee
    Nov 2, 2016 at 12:27

5 Answers 5

Considering I've been running the Amikumu campaign all day, this word has been bothering me too. Then finally when I was writing up the FAQ for the question of how to get a member reward and a sponsor reward at the same time, I just naturally without hesitation translated this in my head as promespagi and it just worked, so I personally believe this is the best possible translation.

Very nice! I guess that depending on how you look at it (or even depending on how the specific crowdfunding site works), pagpromesi could be a good alternative too.
    – Raizin
    Oct 18, 2016 at 15:39
  • I also thought about pagpromesi, but for some reason the alterative sounded (and still sounds) more correct in my head. / Mi ankaŭ pensis pri pagpromesi, sed ial la alternativo sonis (kaj daŭre sonas) pli ĝusta en mia kapo. Oct 18, 2016 at 17:32
    If a "pledge" is a form of promise to pay (in the future) the form in Esperanto has to be "pagpromesi". "Promespagi" would be making the actual payment, fulfilling the pledge.
    – Lee
    Nov 2, 2016 at 12:23
  • @Lee, I'm glad we agree then! Pledging is making the actual payment. It just only gets fully processed at the end of the campaign. Nov 2, 2016 at 14:20

A few years back, I created the Esperanto version the website PledgeBank.com (now sadly defunct). We just went with promesi then. The Esperanto site was called PromesoBanko.com and each "pledge" was just a "promeso".

The scope of PledgeBank was broader than KickStarter, in that people weren't necessarily pledging money for a project, but could be pledging to do something specific, to go somewhere, or just to publicly declare their support for something. As such, promespagi wouldn't have been appropriate for that. Even in the context of KickStarter, I'm not sure that there's much wrong with simply promesi.

Ĝusta traduko estus ekzemple:

• Vi sukcese promesis 149 eŭrojn al Amikumu.

La proponita kunmetaĵo "promespagi" estas ege stranga. Oni povas nur mire skui la kapon klopodante deĉifri ian eventualan signifon.

Se oni nepre volas havi la vorton pagi en la esprimo, ĝi estu ekzemple promesis pagi anstataŭ la simpla promesis. Tio tamen estas neniel bezonata, ĉar estas jam klare dirite, ke la promeso temas pri monsumo (promesis 149 eŭrojn) kaj do ne povas esti io alia ol promeso pagi.

For single word translation, you might look at existing services like lernu, revo kaj tatoeba.

For this example, promesi may be a good match, but I'm not sure what you want to say, could you develop the context?

Pledge to ... = devontigi sin ...i

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.