• Nouns are replaced with ĝin

Mi ŝatas la filmon.

Mi ŝatas ĝin.

• While tio replaces longer phrases.

Mi ŝatas, ke la filmo finiĝas feliĉe.

Mi ŝatas tion.

I see this most often as responses to questions. Here are some more examples:

Kiu faris la foton? Mi faris ĝin.

Kiu purigis la banĉambron? Mi faris tion.

Kiu planis la ekskurson? Mi planis ĝin.

Ĉu vi iros al la kinejo ĉi-vespere? Mi planas tion.

However, I've seen people use these interchangeably. Is my way of thinking wrong?

• I left an answer below in which I basically confirm what you're thinking in your question. If there was something else you wanted to know or if my answer could be clearer, please leave a comment. Oct 20, 2016 at 10:07

1 Answer 1

There is certainly a lot of overlap - but notice that in your examples, ĝin generally replaces nouns and noun phrases, while tion replaces verbs and phrases that include verbs.

• Ah right! Noun phrases vs phrases with verbs. I was having trouble finding the correct way to name these categories. What do you mean with generally, are there exceptions? Is this a rule or an observation? Could you find a source that mentions/explains this? Oct 20, 2016 at 13:57
  • Let me see if I can find something formal. For now, I looked at the examples you chose, reflected on my experience, and took a (very quick) look around to see if anything contradicted that. Oct 20, 2016 at 18:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.