I would prefer not to use nigralisto, which I assume but cannot confirm is the Esperanto term for 'blacklist'.

Mi proponas bojkotlisto. Bojkoto estas bona esperanto vorto kaj internacia komprenebla.

Nigra listo (note, two words) is an established expression in Esperanto. (It's in PIV, anyway.) Of course, that doesn't mean you can't suggest an alternative.

• I just searched vortaro.net and it's not in the PIV. – Keir Oct 21 '16 at 13:29
  • @Keir It's both under nigra and listo, provided in the examples. – Joffysloffy Oct 21 '16 at 13:59

I would probably use something like:

Listo da evitindaj vendejoj

But if you are looking for a single word, I cannot think of any decent one, as I think evitindvendejlisto sounds too weird. :)

Perhaps sankcio listo, a direct translation of "sanction list", which is a list of entities with whom you're prohibited from doing business with, by law.

Depending on the context, though, that might be too strong of a term.

I think nigralisto as a single-word description is quite good, because its equivalent "blacklist" or literal transcription is widely spread in different languages, especially in computer-connected topics. Also it can be not only black-for-buying list, it's a bit more common. If to use full description - better use variant of Lyubomir Vasilev.

I think it might be too close to the English term. If other languages don't use it, the meaning might get lost: 'black' is not related at all to the actual purpose/form of the list, but opaquely to its function. In German, a 'schwarze Liste' would be a 'naughty list', if I remember correctly. So nigralisto would be meaningless to anybody who is unfamiliar with the English term. Though I grant you that it is commonly used in computing these days. – Oliver Mason Oct 21 '16 at 8:34
    Be sure to check PIV before answering, commenting, voting, and so on. – Tomaso Alexander Oct 21 '16 at 9:54
    Words in Esperanto cannot be linked together with a in between. So, technically, nigralisto is gramatically wrong and should be two separate words — nigra listo. To make it a single word, you coud do: nigrlisto, nigrolisto or nigro-listo, but written like that I thinkg the meaning is lost. – Lyubomir Vasilev Oct 21 '16 at 11:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.