Some words combined with an image can go viral and really stay in your head. This is a pretty universal concept. So how does one say it in the international language?

strigo cxu

How do you say "a meme" in Esperanto?

According to the Esperanto version of Wiktionary, it's memeo:

meme - memeo

| improve this answer | |
    I avoid using Wikipedia and Wiktionary as a source of translations. Everyone can come up with a bad translation. – Vanege Oct 27 '16 at 19:38
    @Vanege: I'm not saying to trust it, just to check it. Also, remember to check Sonja's English-Esperanto Dictionary: esperantodictionary.org/about.php – Mike Jones Oct 27 '16 at 20:16
    My own thought is that it would be good courtesy to check any dictionary at all. Also, speaking only for myself, if a person finds himself asking for lots of words that turn out to be in Wells or Benson, then this person should probably consider getting a copy of Wells or Benson. I don't know that there is (or even should be) a policy on this, but it seems like good manners to me. – Tomaso Alexander Oct 27 '16 at 23:59
    @TomasoAlexander I don't think it is right to push someone to buy a book, instead of letting him making questions which answers will be freely available to everyone in the Internet. It is better the help the whole community instead of one individual. – Vanege Oct 28 '16 at 11:47
  • To underscore, the above was "my own thought." You're welcome to disagree. For my part, good manners dictates that if you can look something up yourself, you should. Good manners also dictates that if someone has gone to a lot of trouble to compile a dictionary (as Wells and Benson have), it is not OK to scan this and put it on the internet for free. This is true whether we're scanning the whole work at once or one word at a time. – Tomaso Alexander Oct 28 '16 at 11:50

I mostly see the word "memeo" being used for this on the internet.

| improve this answer | |
  • Is memeo pronounced Me-ME-o or MEEM-o? – Donĉjo Frazoro Nov 3 '16 at 20:17
    The word is pronounced like it is a normal Esperanto word: "me·ME·o". – Robin van der Vliet Nov 3 '16 at 20:47
  • I was hoping so, since that's my preferred way in english – Donĉjo Frazoro Nov 3 '16 at 20:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.