When we are describing something with a verb such as nomi, should the plurality (-j) of the described object be respected?

According to PMEG (http://bertilow.com/pmeg/gramatiko/specialaj_priskriboj/perverba/objekto.html) the -j must be there. The relevant example from PMEG (Actually from Fabeloj de Andersen) is

Jam en ilia infaneco oni ja nomadis ilin gefianĉoj.

The reasoning is that if you change the sentence to use estas, you clearly would have the plural there. "Ili estas videoblogoj". It is really the same rule for "ili estas" as it is for "oni nomas ilin".

It all depends on what you mean. There is nothing in the grammar of Esperanto saying that a noun describing several things must be plural. If every one of those videos is a video blog, then videoblogoj is OK. But it seems more natural to me that a videoblogo is the collection of tiuj videoj, at least this is how I understand videoblogo, and I would write Oni nomas tiujn videojn videoblogo.

You could compare

• Tiuj 10 homoj estas unu grupo.
  • Tiuj 10 homoj estas du grupoj: unu konsistas el 4. la alia el 6 homoj.

This is different from

• Tiuj 10 homoj estas feliĉaj
  • Oni opinias tiujn videojn bonaj

where you have to write feliĉaj, bonaj.

My sense here is that they would both be plural. Here's a similar example from the Fundamenta Krestomatio.

• al la germanaj poŝtaj oficistoj, kiuj nomas tiujn ĉi gazetajn sendaĵojn “bastonoj”.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.