Are la malplej juna and la plej maljuna entirely interchangeable? If so, which one is the most common?

Yes. They are interchangeable according David K. Jordan, in his book titled Being Colloquial in Esperanto. (I don't have the page number for this reference).

In the Tekstaro, plej mal- occurs 800 times. Whereas malplej occurs 67 times.

In Google, a search for "la plej maljuna" (with quotes) results in 50,400 hits. Whereas, "la malplej juna" (with quotes) results in 73 hits.

Based on this info, it is more common to use la plej maljuna instead of the other syntax.

• Thank you, that seems very reasonable! I just learned about Tekstaro, so next time I'll give it a try myself. I'll see if I can get my hands on that book as well. – A. Silén Nov 9 '16 at 16:39
    It is an excellent book, and has lots of great info, but it is a little boring. – Lumo5 Nov 9 '16 at 16:44
  • I believe the reference you're thinking of is 4.5. Comparisons of Adjectives & Adverbs in which Jordan lists an example with sincera and says that it is "usually immaterial" whether mal- is attached to the original adjective or adverb or to the plej. – Tomaso Alexander Nov 10 '16 at 23:17

No, they are not entirely interchangeable any more than a pair like the following are entirely interchangeable.

• He is the most pleasant one of the bunch.
  • He is the least annoying one of the bunch.

This particular pair (malplej juna / plej maljuna) may lead you to point to the same person, but they are not completely interchangeable since they draw your attention to different aspects and so may have different connotations.

Consider:

• La plej juna - the youngest one.
  • La malplej maljuna - the least elderly one.

These have different connotations.

• Nice explanation.Bona klarigo de @tomaso-alexander. – AJN Nov 13 '16 at 5:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.