ReVo says beleta, but I've never liked to use -et in compliments. It sounds kind of like "not good enough to be beautiful".

Dolĉa is an option. It corresponds to the German "süß". But can it be used for sweet appearance, or only for sweet taste?

Another one I've seen is ĉarma. Does this word have anything to do with "charming"? Or is it closer to "cute"?

5 Answers 5

Ĉarma certainly is the best choice. Dolĉa also works. Yes, ĉarma is related to charming, but it can be used with babies too.

A note on linda, which was suggested. I was not familiar with this word and it is rare in the Tekstaro - four references - two of them from the same work, and one of those being a gloss (footnote) of the other for readers (like me) who would otherwise have no idea what the author was trying to say. Wells has this word marked as "literary" i.e. not suitable for everyday Esperanto.

Mi iam trovis en (sufiĉe respektata) vortaro la vorton minjona, sed efektive neniu esperantisto konis ĝin kiel esperantan vorton.

Do, ĉarma kaj dolĉa bonas.

• Interese! Pensigas min pri la filmo "Minions". Tiuj karakteroj ja estas tre dolcxaj kaj cxarmaj. Dec 1, 2016 at 11:16

According to ReVo, beleta means a little bit beautiful.

dolĉa and ĉarma can both be used to describe someone's face. Therefore both are suitable. However, ĉarma seems more appropriate based on my understanding of the ReVo definitions.

Shouldn't they use the "affectionate" suffixes, hence belonja and beloĉja?

Nepre ne. -ĉj- kaj -nj- aperas nur post propra nomo aŭ nomo de parenceco: Manjo, Paŭĉjo, franjo, avĉjo... Nov 24, 2016 at 10:44

Laŭ mi la vorto linda plej proksimas al la angla cute.

• Cxu linda estas vorto?
    – Lumo5
    Nov 23, 2016 at 16:34
  • According to JC Wells' dictionary, lind/-a means 'pretty', in literary usage. Nov 23, 2016 at 17:43
    Mi scias, ke Wells diras tion. Sed PIV diras, ke „linda” estas alloge plaĉaspekta, kio laŭ mi pli proksimas al „cute”. Nov 24, 2016 at 10:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.