Is there any difference between ree and denove? I mostly see denove used, but ree seems like a logical substitute for such cases.

Denove is the traditional way of saying ”again” in Esperanto. Ree is made from the prefix re-, so it’s a bit more ”fresh and slangy”, I’d say.

You could compare it with antaŭa versus eksa: Mi estis tie kun mia antaŭa koramikino vs. Mi estis tie kun mia eksa koramikino. The former sounds a bit more formal, but the difference in meaning is slight.

Hooray for synonyms, I’d say! :-) Which one to use depends on the setting. I think I’d go with the second phrase below:

1. Li ree restartigis sian komputilon.
  2. Li denove restartigis sian komputilon.

Also note the Esperantigo of the great fantasy classic The Hobbit, or There and Back Again: ”La Hobito aŭ Tien kaj Reen.” Tien kaj Denoven would be wrong, so the synonymity is not perfect in this case. :-)

• +1 for the Hobbit mention... Also, as an aside: there are practically no perfect synonyms in any language, as that would be wasteful. There are degrees of similarity in meaning and usage (which includes style & register, for example). – Oliver Mason Dec 7 '16 at 8:50

Yes. It is a substitute: http://www.reta-vortaro.de/revo/art/re.html#re.0e

I like denove better because it is easy for me to say.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.