With regard to this sentence, ...oni povas krei el ĝi 15-20 vortojn..., how would you say the dash character?

If you were reading that sentence, would you say "dek kvin ĝis dudek?"

Laŭ PMEG, la nomo de la signo - estas dividostreko. [REDAKTO] Laŭ PMEG, la nomo de ĉi tiu signo estas ĝis-streko. (Dankon, La Vo!)

Sed kiam oni elparolas „15-20“, oni diras „de 15 ĝis 20“.

• I think the translation is not right. That's hyphen in English. Here we're looking for an en-dash which is clearly distinct.
    – La Vo-o
    Dec 18 '16 at 13:15
    Found it: ĝis-streko
    – La Vo-o
    Dec 18 '16 at 13:17
  • @LaVo Vi pravas! Bonvolu afiŝi ĉi tion kiel respondon. Mi forigos mian. Dec 19 '16 at 6:59
  • There's no need, that's a small thing. The question was about reading the range, not about naming the glyph.
    – La Vo-o
    Dec 19 '16 at 8:59
    Except that the character typed in the original question above is a hyphen, not an en-dash! In many cases nobody will notice, let alone bother about it, but if you're being careful, use a hyphen '-' only for hyphenated words, and use the longer en-dash '–' for ĝis. dashhyphen.com
    – Tim Morley
    Dec 19 '16 at 21:34

oni povas krei el ĝi de 15 ĝis 20 vortojn

Use de and ĝis when doing lower and upper bounds of a range of numbers.

Additionally, these can be used for other ranges
e.g. I went from Paris to Berlin (Mi iris de Parizο ĝis Berlinο) I have realised my mistake. el and al should be used here.

• What? Is it not correct to use "de" and "gxis" for places? Where did you find that infomration? Dec 19 '16 at 6:53
  • Mi iris el Parizo al Berlino means that I went from Paris to Berlin. Mi iris de Parizo ĝis Berlino means that I went up to Berlin. Actually, accg. to Reta Vortaro, it's okay to use de-ĝis, but I didn't mean to use de-ĝis in that sentence. Dec 19 '16 at 7:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.