In American English we can be "pissed off" or "really pissed". What idioms does Esperanto have to describe a state of being very upset?

There are many expressions related to anger - beyond kolera and kolerega. Here are a few I found after a brief check in PIV.

• boli de koleroB
  • bolas kolero en lia koro
  • ĉe tiu demando la sango ekbolis en liB.
  • eksplodi de furiozo, de kolero
  • li eksplodis, dirante ke […]Z.
  • mi estas tute furioza, ke mi staras kiel malpravulo, dum mi estas pravaZ
  • flama koleroZ

As a side note, notice that the definition of furiozi is not esti furioza, but rather it's agi furioze. It's always necessary to use care when expressing adjectives as verbs.

| improve this answer | |

The language is relatively idiom free because it is supposed to be international in nature.

Pissed off = Kolerega - Mi estas kolerega

| improve this answer | |
  • All languages have idioms. Being an international language doesn't hamper this at all "ne krokodilu" ONLY makes sense in Esperanto and is an idiom. Furthermore idioms help bind people of a culture together. They're like inside jokes, and shared pieces of communal history. Being "pissed off" is not identical to being "very upset". – masukomi Dec 19 '16 at 15:31
  • @masukomi In that case, I don't think there is a matching idiom in Esperanto – Lumo5 Dec 19 '16 at 15:50
    Lumo5 is correct that the language is relatively idiom-free. Yes, there are some – krokodili and prifajfi spring immediately to mind – but really not many at all. There's plenty of figurative use of language, metaphors, similes, allusions, irony, litotes, parisosis, and the like; but idioms, whose meaning by definition is non-obvious to someone who knows the individual words but not the expression as a whole, are anathema to a language whose fundamental purpose is to facilitate communication as a learned second language. – Tim Morley Dec 19 '16 at 21:49
  • "idioms ... are anathema to a language whose fundamental purpose is to facilitate communication as a learned second language." - I see why someone would come to that conclusion, but to accept that means you can't build an Esperanto community / culture because all communities / cultures have internal knowledge and behavior that are weird / senseless to outsiders. – masukomi Dec 20 '16 at 19:43
    @masukomi What I was told is that Esperanto doesn't have many idioms because idioms are based on culture, and Esperanto has a huge variety of cultures that spans the world. Idioms would therefore be cryptic from one region to another, and cause a hindrance of communication – Lumo5 Dec 21 '16 at 13:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.