I was chatting in the ecology group today and someone wrote "Mi ege devas sportumi pli." In English I'd respond with "Don't we all.", as a way of saying "jes, mi bone komprenas vin. Kiel ni cxiuj.".

I wasn't really satisfied with any of my translations of it, as they all seemed to need so many words. It wasn't really "punchy".

I guess this is very similar to How can I say "I feel ya"? , and it is also slang or informal language, but I am looking for something that gives the feeling that we all share this feeling, not just me.

Any ideas?

"Don't we all" can be used in a few different situations, and I would render these differently in Esperanto.

"Yes, that's obvious"

• I think Esperanto is wonderful // Yes, don't we all!
  • Mi kredas ke Esperanto estas bonega // jes klare!

"Me too, but it will never happen."

• I wish I could find a cute guy who doesn't misuse the accusative // Don't we all!
  • Mi sopiras trovi belan viron kiu ne pekas kontraŭ la akuzativo // Bela revo!

I think Kiel ni ĉiuj! is good, actually, but here are some more ideas:

• La samo ĉie! or Kaj ĉie la samo! or Por ĉiu la samo! or Samas por ĉiu! or just Same!

• Tio pravas ĉiuflanke! or ambaŭflanke!

• Ĉiuflanke! or Ambaŭflanke!

• Kiel ankaŭ la mondo!

• Vi ne estas unu tiurilate! or Vi ne solsolas, ulo!

• Universale!

Maybe you could say bona diro or kompreneble

• Could you explain "bondiro" in more detail? I would say that's not a real word. – Tomaso Alexander Jan 22 '17 at 13:43
  • @TomasoAlexander Bondiro = A good saying – Lumo5 Jan 22 '17 at 16:37
  • How is that different from "bona diro"? – Tomaso Alexander Jan 22 '17 at 17:08
  • Compound nouns are created from prepositional phrases. So there is not much difference between "bona diro" and "bondiro". pages.ucsd.edu/~dkjordan/eo/colloq/colloq040.html#sec4-1-2 – Lumo5 Jan 24 '17 at 7:56
    Unfortunately, it seems you have misunderstood Jordan's explanation here. There is not a single example in section 4.1.2. on Compound Nouns where an adjective root is is included. He even says explicitly that the meaning of such compounds are often different then when expressed with an adjective and noun. Following the pattern bondiro would be diro de bono - saying of goodness or saying of the good - and certainly not bona diro. – Tomaso Alexander Jan 24 '17 at 13:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.