I've heard it a few times already and it confuses me. Is it "apparently according to..."? Or "According to the appearances of..."? I don't get the combined sense of these two words (laŭ and ŝajne)

Without context it is difficult to give an answer. Some examples:

Tio laŭŝajne estas bona demando → This looks like a good question.

Laŭŝajne li estis riĉa. → It looks as if he is rich.

Laŭŝajne li ne konsentas. → It looks as if he does not approve.

• I think my problem is: if the author doesn't use "ŝajnas ke" or "ŝajne" (all possible in your examples, as far as I know), but "laŭŝajne" instead, I don't know what meaning "laŭ" adds to the whole thing. Why not use "ŝajne"? – Peterson Silva Jan 31 '17 at 15:03
  • In my humble opinion it adds nothing. It's all a question of style. – Paŭl Peeraerts Jan 31 '17 at 15:09
  • Well, I would say that the difference is the same that there is between "as it seems that" and "it seems that". – psychoslave Feb 2 '17 at 14:59

I'm not going to answer this because "we all know what that one means."

• Bonvolu alsendi la pordiston. Laŭŝajne estas rano en mia bideo.

--

Ok, more seriously - it means "according to appearance." The thought process seems to be laŭ ŝajno -> laŭŝajne. Without the laŭ (i.e. just ŝajne) it would mean "appearance-wise" which is just about the same thing.

Tomaso, mi vere amas vin. – Shayne Power Feb 1 '17 at 4:56

Laŭŝajne = apparently = It appears a certain way

From the Tekstaro

Laŭŝajne, vi eŭropanoj estas saĝaj...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.