In regular conversations, a certain use of the verb "relate" is quite common. My impression is that it means one recognizes or is able to understand a situation someone else is experiencing. For example:

• After my father died, I lost all interest in my work. — I can relate to that, the same thing happened to me when my mother passed away.

• My first Esperanto-meetup was amazing. It was as if, until then, I had not fully believed the language works. — I can totally relate!

• I have trouble realting to the main character. Maybe that is the reason I didn't enjoy the book.

What can I say in Esperanto?

I usually use:

• Same/Simile okazis al mi for "I can relate to that".
  • identiĝi al or kunsenti kun for "to relate to something"

So for your examples :

After my father died, I lost all interest in my work. — I can relate to that

Post kiam mia patro mortis, mi tute malinteresiĝis pri mia laboro. — Same okazis al mi

I have trouble relating to the main charachter.

Estas malfacile por mi kunsenti kun la ĉefa rolulo.

For ”I can relate to that” I’d say ”(Ho,) mi konas tion”. (I thought your question about ”I feel ya” had already been answered, as Cyril points out?)

• You're right. When I went to sleep some memory of that I had already asked about "I feel ya" came up in my mind. I edited the question now to make it different. It was actually almost a copy of the other question earlier! haha, my bad – Antonia Montaro Mar 11 '17 at 8:48
  • haha, that’s what happens sometimes. :-) – Bjørn Mar 11 '17 at 12:42

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.