Although the Akademia Vortaro suggests the word anomalio, adopted since the Dua Oficiala Aldono, I see no mention of this word in the Baza Radikaro Oficiala nor in the website La bona lingvo. I study health sciences, so I am more often exposed to the word anomaly than the general population, but in spite of that I do not think it is such a rare word in everyday life too. So shouldn't we be able to express the same idea with more common morphemes?

"Anomalio" can be found in PIV. (http://vortaro.net/#anomalio)

"Escepto" and "Eksternormalajxo" are also mentioned there. Otherwise I would suggest "nenormalajxo" or even "malnormalajxo".

• I had linked to PIV in my question. I usually don't rely on it, since we can also find words such as liva and mava that are to be avoided as much as possible in my opinion. Are nenormalaĵo and malnormalaĵo synonymous? Is one better than the other? – maliktunga Mar 10 '17 at 22:36
  • Ops, missed that, sorry. Nenormala means "not normal". Malnorma menas "the opposite of normal". So they are not entierly the same. Do you understand what I mean? – Antonia Montaro Mar 10 '17 at 23:00
  • Sorry, I do not understand what you mean. To my understanding, being "not normal" is the opposite of being "normal". Either you follow the norm, either you don't. I don't see anything in-between. Do you have an example? – maliktunga Mar 11 '17 at 4:13
    having a small, but visible, cut is not the "normal" state of human flesh (nenormala), but it is not "abnormal" either. Having a your limb cut off is "abnormal" (malnormala). – masukomi Mar 24 '17 at 20:55

If anomalio is in the Akademia Vortaro, I wouldn't doubt that it's usage is valid. However, I also understand your hesitation to use words that may not be readily understandable. I suggest nenormalaĵo as opposed to malnormala. Althought it is true that the two differ semantically in that nenormala is "not normal" and malnormala is "opposite of normal", in practice they seem to be the same. However, in every search, nenormala / nenormalaĵo is more common than malnormala / malnormalaĵo.

Searching on Google:

• nenormalaĵo trafficked 3,330 results, while malnormalaĵo trafficked 2,450
  • nenormala trafficked 15,800 results, while malnormala trafficked only 5,680

Searching on Tekstaro:

• Neither nenormalaĵo nor malnormalaĵo trafficked any results in Tekstaro, which only indicates that it hasn't been used in the tracked literature.
  • However nenormala trafficked 17 results, while malnormala trafficked only 3

This demonstrates that nenormala and nenormalaĵo are at least in mild use, and considering that anomaly is a synonym for irregularity or abnormality, and that the Greek word it is derived from has the same meaning, I'd concede that anomalio could be ceded to nenormalaĵo.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.