For example you would say "la angla" when referring to English. Why 1) is it an adjective and 2) do you use "la"? It doesn't seem to fit internally with the grammar. Is it adopted from another language or is there some deeper reason that I am missing?

It's merely an abbreviation: la angla = la angla lingvo. This way of naming languages has been totally conventionalised, so that you can find this structure even with languages where the language name is primary, for instance la latina = latino 'Latin'. Only with Esperanto you don't usually say "la esperanta".

• Thank you. That's very nice and simple. I was hoping the answer would be this nice. It's just really hard to google the word language and Esperanto in the same phrase and get anything other than stuff about the Esperanto language. – DonkoXI Mar 11 '17 at 7:45
    I've actually just learned that "la espan" is some kind of slang for Esperanto, so even that works! But it's very uncommon, of course. – Antonia Montaro Mar 11 '17 at 8:33
  • For such questions it is always a good idea to look into Bertil Wennergren's grammar PMEG (bertilow.com/pmeg/detala_enhavo.html), see here for la + language: bertilow.com/pmeg/gramatiko/difiniloj/la/… – Cyril Robert Brosch Mar 11 '17 at 13:12

It's short for la angla lingvo.

Without "la" it would be "an English language."

Just like in English, there are invisible (or implied) words.

• Mi parolas la anglan lignvon = Mi parolas la anglan.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.