Defined as: an insular communication space where everyone agrees with a certain piece(s) of an ideology and no contrary input is allowed (edited version of this definition)

• Perhaps this should be added to Wikipedia's glossary of business and and management terms: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/… – Mike Jones Apr 17 '17 at 19:02
  • An echo chamber can also refer to online groups on social media platforms and such. – user301 Apr 17 '17 at 19:04

I am not convinced that jesviro or javiro are clear in Esperanto, but jesulo and jesemulo seem to have at least a small amount of traction - in one or two user-edited dictionaries. This calls to mind the term jesemulejo.

• Mi pensis ke mi bone esploris la aferojn kaj petis opiniojn de aliaj, sed Esperanto Stack Exchange fariĝis malsana jesemulejo.

My initial guess would be Unuecidea Ĉambro or Ĉambro de Unueca Ideo, but these are only to convey the idea if someone hadn't hear the term before.

A direct translation could be Eĥĉambro" (Eĥa-Ĉambro) or "Jesvira Ĉambro", as in a room filled with Yes Men. You could also use Javira Ĉambro, which I like more since the imagery is better and sounds better (A room full of men going "INDEED!" to someone)

• Do you have any example of "Yes Man" (whatever it is) translated that way to Esperanto? – Vanege Apr 17 '17 at 13:06
  • I tend to agree with Vanege here -- although reflecting a bit on the suggestion jesemulejo, which I might post as a new answer for consideration. – Tomaso Alexander Apr 17 '17 at 18:32
    I don't have any reference, this was just my creative response to this question. – Donĉjo Frazoro Apr 18 '17 at 2:17
  • Why should it be ĉambro in the first place? – La Vo-o Apr 18 '17 at 8:35
  • I would like to suggest that "creative responses" be kept to a minimum - or at least be clearly labeled as such. This is Esperanto Stack Exchange where people come looking for expert answers. (People voting should also use care to only vote up expert answers.) If you have grammatical errors in your Stack Exchange Introduction, you might want to restrict yourself to answering questions that you actually know the answer to. In this case, the "creative" suggestion started some gears turning, but generally, I have met User301 personally and this is a fairly advanced and creative speaker. – Tomaso Alexander Apr 19 '17 at 11:23

Is there anything wrong with saying it the way you just did?

• "insular communication space where everyone agrees with a certain piece of an ideology and no contrary input is allowed"

"Mi kredis ke mi profunde pripensis tiajn aferon, sed nun, de la alia flanko de kredo, mi vidas ke mi komunikis nur kun personoj kiuj jam trovis la samajn konkludojn kaj mi neniam aŭdis novajn ideojn."

It seems a little bit too much to expect to find a metaphor which will be immediately clear to people from all different cultures, so it's probably good to spell it out clearly.

I play around with the the idea of calling it samideanejo (a place where people with the same idea gather) but the problem is that samideano has the specific meaning "Esperantist" in Esperanto.

So perhaps samismanejo (where adherents of the same ideology meet) is a trafa vorto.

EDIT: I think the word can be shortened to samismejo (leaving the -an- out, "place of same ideology").

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.