I want to make sure that I am pronouncing -ej- properly. What is the correct way of pronouncing it?

ej represents e plus a short i-sound; it is like English ay in play

Wells, JC, Esperanto Dictionary

• Okay. So "EJ" sounds like the word "grey", right?
    – Lumo5
    Jul 5 '17 at 8:39
  • Yes, in 'Standard British English'. In IPA it would be like [eI] (see phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/english.htm) Jul 5 '17 at 9:59
  • Isn't ⟨e⟩ pronounced short though, more as [ɛ] in the English bet /ˈbɛt/? So that would make ⟨ej⟩ [ɛi̯], closer to the Dutch ⟨ij⟩ and ⟨ei⟩ sounds, or the Italian ⟨ei⟩ in sei. I think pronouncing ⟨ej⟩ as [ei̯] is easily confused with ⟨e⟩, as many people (specifically native English speakers) tend to realize ⟨e⟩ as [ei̯] already, hence merging ⟨e⟩ and ⟨ej⟩. Jul 6 '17 at 11:39
  • No, it's the other way round. The [e] is the longer, closed sound. The Dutch "ij" would be [aI]. Also not it's [I] (capital 'i'), which is open and short as opposed to [i]. So lernejo would be [lerneIQ] (using the SAMPA scheme referred to above) Jul 6 '17 at 13:06
    There is actually a range of acceptable E sounds. Readers of this thread might be interested to read the English and French sections of the Fundamento regarding the correct pronunciation of E in Esperanto. Jul 15 '17 at 12:03

Lumo5 - I suspect it's not a coincidence that I just made a video on this very topic where I explain and model the correct way to pronounce -ej-. I had already been working on it when you and I discussed this, and that's why I decided to bump that video up in priority and get it made.

https://youtu.be/1MFq7nwQmCg

To summarize, it's important to pronounce the J in EJ. Otherwise, you won't be able to distinguish piceo from picejo. Note also that the difference is the J, not the vocal quality. See the video for more details.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.