"Ground control to Major Tom...". It's a very pressing matter, in that it relates to my own amusement. I hope I have met Stack Exchange's quality question guideline rules. Thank you.

• The answer to this question is very much up to taste. How to translate a line in a song is a bit too subjective a matter to have a satisfactory answer. – yasmine-chanel Aug 7 '17 at 4:45

"Ground control" is (sur)tera direktejo and "(military) major" is majoro, and in both, the j is pronounced like the y in yes. However, it is better if the name Major Tom is pronounced as in English.

So the translation is Direktej' al Major Tom. ("dee-reck-tay al Major Tom")

If you want it entirely in Esperanto, use Direktej' al la Major'. The stress is normally on the second-last syllable of a word, but it doesn't move if the ending -o is dropped: major'.

Bazo al Majoro Tom

Terbazo al Major' Tom

Comparable - in a wide sence - with "base camp."

If you merge "zo-al" you get an interesting sound, just as "ground control" has interesting r-s. You could elide the final o in Majoro: Major' Tom.

Oni devus fuŝi la akcenton por kanti la duan version, ĉu ne? – Neil Roberts Jul 11 '17 at 9:28

The most poetic way to translate a poem is to translate the whole poem. When you look at it this ways, the possibilities open up a bit. For example, since the first two lines are identical, you could take two lines to get the idea out.

Vokas vin la ter-staci'

Ni vokas nun al la Major'

My understanding is that Major Tom is not a real person so there's no reason you couldn't change the name to get it to work out.

Ter-staci' al la major'

Ni vokas al Majoro Tom

You could really call him anything you want.

I'm personally partial to Ter-Staci' - which is what I came up with after reading a few national language translations of the song.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.