According to ReVo

1.TEZ Timegiga: terura akcidento; terura estas la stato de la aferojZ; tiuj kalumnioj donis terurajn fruktojnZ.

2. (figure) Tre forta: ŝi havis teruran malamon kontraŭ liZ

According to PIV

1 Tia, ke ĝi elvokas teruron: terura estas tiu ĉi lokoZ; ili havis teruran aspektonZ; ili rakontis terurajn historiojn pri rabobirdojZ; kiam la kuracisto kun la terura ekmovo de la ŝultroj diros al vi: Homa helpo estas vana!Z; tiuj kalumnioj donis terurajn fruktojnZ; terura estas la stato de la aferojZ; ĉio supermezura estas teruraZ.

2 (f) Tre forta: ŝi havis teruran malamon kontraŭ la pli junaZ.

Still, a lot of people seem to be using "terura" in the sense of "terrible" in English, so it means "tre malbona" "aĉa", which is not related to fear. Is this an erroneous use?

• Like in the Ana Pana course; "Ilia elparolo estis terura"; I don't think their pronunciation was causing fear, or was very strong. – kristan Aug 30 '16 at 0:42

First note that the also in English, the original meaning of terrible is 'causing fear'. The usage has shifted quite a lot in English, so that nowadays it is used very often in the sense of 'very bad', even when there is no relation to fear. Originally, this was considered metaphorical use, i.e. you compare something bad to something causing fear in a metaphorical way, even if it does not really cause fear. But in English this usage of terrible has become so common that people no longer feel it to be a metaphor, but just consider it to be one of the basic meanings of terrible.

In Esperanto, terura is still mainly used related to things that cause some kind of fear, so that when it is used for something that is just bad without actually causing fear, many speakers would still feel this to be a metaphorical use.

| improve this answer | |
  • Personally, I would translate "terura" as "terrifying," but it all comes down to the reader. – Clayton Ramsey Aug 29 '16 at 16:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.