The verb to ask can be translated as postuli and demandi.
Are the two words equivalent or are there differences?

Just to add to your confusion, there's also "peti". – Shayne Power Apr 16 '18 at 12:05
    The English demand (=postuli) and Esperanto demandi (=to ask) are so called false friends. – Joop Eggen Apr 16 '18 at 14:24

Demandi is the action of requesting information, that is to ask a question. Postuli is making a demand, asking for something.

Panjo demandis min ĉu mi faris miajn hejmtaskojn.
"Mom asked me if I did my homework."

Panjo postulas ke mi ĉiam faru miajn hejmtaskojn.
"Mom demands(asks of me) that I always do my homework."

• I think “asks that I do my homework” is less severe than “demands that I do my homework”. The former would probably be better translated by petas ke mi faru mian hejmtaskon. – Neil Roberts Apr 16 '18 at 15:10
    "made" my homework? I've never seen it written that way in English (or at least American English). We always use do/did. Why made/make? – Seth Apr 16 '18 at 17:03
  • So demandi = inquire, postuli = request? – Acccumulation Apr 16 '18 at 18:41
  • Thank you Seth, corrected. Non-native EN speaker here. @ Accumulation: yes that's the gist of it. (Could be requirement instead of request) – 2_K_ Apr 17 '18 at 7:28

postuli = to demand; demandi = to ask.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.