When should an Esperanto speaker say ofte, and when multe? A definition of ofte is 'often', a definition of multe is 'a lot'. When does an Esperanto speaker use which?

An example, what would be used with the following?

Mi ofte/multe uzas vian vortaron.
/mi 'of.te/'mul.te 'u.zas 'vi.an vor'ta.ron/
Mi   oft  -e   / mult -e    uz -as   vi -an    vortaro   -n   .
1SG  often-ADV / a_lot-ADV  use-PRES 2SG-GEN   dictionary-ACC .
I use your dictionary often/a lot.

migrated from conlang.stackexchange.com May 4 '18 at 19:23

This question came from our site for designers and users of artificial or invented languages, consciously developed instead of having developed naturally.

• What did your dictionaries say? "often" and "a lot" are glosses, not definitions. – curiousdannii May 2 '18 at 9:37
  • Also, what dictionary are you using? "a lot" seems quite colloquial to me, and I would expect a translation glossary to prefer "many" or "multiple" for multe, based on the meaning and usage of the cognates in European languages. – Jeff Zeitlin May 2 '18 at 11:33
  • @JeffZeitlin I used wiktionary.org for these, but I agree many or multiple would fit better. As I am asking the question, I don't know if choosing another one would make the question unanswerable. '(Very) much' is also used elsewhere, – Duncan Whyte May 2 '18 at 17:42
  • Downvoters care to explain what could be improved? – Duncan Whyte May 2 '18 at 17:43
  • In any case, when you have multiple glosses for a word, you want to choose the gloss that best fits your context. I would expect that an Esperantist would use ofte where an English-speaker would use "often", and multe where an English-speaker would use "many", "multiple", or other quantity-suggesting words. – Jeff Zeitlin May 2 '18 at 17:46

First, I support Jeff's comment that the difference between ofte and multe is the same as often and a lot as in English.

Basically, if your use of their dictionary is 20 times in the last hour, you uzas multe. If it is every day in the last 20 days, you uzas ofte.

And if you use it 10 hours a day for months, you uzas multofte or uzas multe ofte.

And if you use it 10 hours a day for months, you uzas multofte or uzas multe ofte. – Vidamuzo May 7 '18 at 21:06
  • @Vidamuzo Thank you! I added your answer as well. – Zuoanqh May 8 '18 at 2:11

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.