What is the Esperanto word for lololololol?

In Esperanto, the word for lol is mdr (multe da ridoj).

In many languages, there is also an extended form of internet slang for expressing laughter, with a repeating part denoting its intensity, analogous to the English lolololol, where one may add another ~ol and it would still be a word. Here are some examples:

• In Chinese, it is 23333333 or hhhhhhhh
  • In Japanese, it is wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  • In Korean, it is ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Since in esperanto, one may use multiple of the same pre/affixes to denote more intensity (finfine, mulmulte), it seems one reasonable candidate to express a more intense laughter would be mmmmmmmmmmmmdr.

However, a quick google search revealed no Esperanto sources uses this word, which prompted me to ask this question. What‘s the word for lololololol? Or is there one?

Hahahaha or hehehehe are certain to be understood, but hhhhhhh is possible, and your own suggestion of mmmmdr seems okay to me. – Andrew Woods May 14 '18 at 12:52

Is there a word for extended form of “lol” (“lolololol…”)?

No.

Is there one specific word for an extended form of "lol"? I am not aware of one. Is it "lolol", "lololol", "lolololol" or something else?

If you feel the need to extend something, go with "haha" which you can extend with however many ha's as you want.

Anything other than a modification of "mdr" or "haha" is not very likely to be understood by a general audience.

• Can one do "hahahahahaha" in Esperanto? – Zuoanqh May 14 '18 at 9:36
  • Yes, one can certainly do that in Esperanto. – Raúl May 14 '18 at 9:38
  • @Zuoanqh: Ne, vi ne povas... hahahaha! ;-) – Vidamuzo May 14 '18 at 11:32
  • I'm picking this answer because this is the most straight-forward and well explained. Thanks also to @Hugo for his insight. – Zuoanqh May 24 '18 at 0:31

In French, mdr is also an equivalent to lol (it stands for mort de rire, meaning "dead of laughter"), and a lot of time, people use mdrrrr (with more or fewer r's), so maybe it could also be used that way in Esperanto?

• Bam! That's a precedent right there, already using the same expression in French. Mojose! – Vidamuzo May 14 '18 at 15:43

Is there a word for extended form of “lol” (“lolololol…”)?

No.

Esperanto isn't for replacing every English word ever invented. It's for expressing ideas. What is the idea expressed by "lololololol" (expressed in real words)? Write that in Esperanto. There's your answer to "What is the Esperanto word for lololololol?"

Since it's not clear to me what idea you're trying to express with "lololololol" (different from "mi ridas" or "tio estas amuza"), I'll leave this last step as an exercise for the asker.

• In many languages, there is also an extended form of internet slang for expressing laughter, with a repeating part denoting its intensity – Zuoanqh May 14 '18 at 8:49
  • I don't think that clarifies the matter. – Tomaso Alexander May 14 '18 at 9:15
  • Do you understand what 'lol' expresses? 'lolololol' would just be a more emphasized, exaggerated version of it, simple as that. It's true that Esperanto isn't for replacing every English word ever invented (although as the asker said, these stronger versions of (equivalents of) 'lol' exist in other languages as well), but that doesn't mean any specific word might not have an Esperanto equivalent. Just that it needs not. Anyway, I wouldn't know what this would be in Esperanto either. Probably there is no direct equivalent. But most people who understand mdr probably would understand mmmmmdr. – Vincent Oostelbos May 14 '18 at 9:21
    "LOL" means different things to different people. There was a time, for example, when it was only used in reaction to something someone else said. Now it seems to mean "I think I'm funny" or "please don't be angry". And yes, I understand that the more o's and l's on the end, the more "exaggerated" it is. My point is that people should focus on expressing themselves clearly in Esperanto. What are you trying to say? How do you say it clearly? Questions of the form "What is the Esperanto word for X" are almost always ill-formed because there's no reason to assume that X is expressed by 1 word. – Tomaso Alexander May 14 '18 at 9:42
  • This is not the usual "what's the word for X" kind of question, in my opinion. If I understand correctly, the OP is searching for a way to emphasize the Esperanto mdr, similar to how it's done in English with lol. There will most likely be a way to emphasize this expression, no matter how its meaning may or may not change with time. It's not so much about word meanings, but more about internet expressions, which applies to any language, including Esperanto. – Vidamuzo May 16 '18 at 9:53

Short answer: LOL is an English slang abbreviation, thus you can't really translate it.

Long answer: According to Merriam-Webster and Collins dictionaries LOL is an English abbreviation for laugh/laughing out loud. Oxford Dictionaries goes a bit further giving examples of its informal use as an exclamation (LOL!) and a verb (I literally LOL'd when the updates popped up, I was LOLing at the teeny tiny little sign). Wikipedia defines it as an internet slang acronym, which is a kind of abbreviation. In Esperanto you can either use it unchanged (which many do in other non-English languages) or you could make an abbreviation from the translation of its idea: multe da ridoj or morta de rido = mdr (in Vikipedio it appears with uppercase: MDR).

I don't think there are rules for denoting the intensity of mdr like you do in English with LOL. I think you can use it as you like, as long as others understand it. :-)))

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.