What is the correct way to say “i am sleepy” in esperanto?

Google translate insists - erroneously - on “Mi dormas” (I am sleeping / I sleep), but that’s not what i’m looking for. A person that is sleepy doesn’t sleep.

up vote 17 down vote accepted

The esperanto affix -em- indicates a tendendy or inclination toward whatever the root refers to. So, "sleepy" can be expressed as dormema (as an adjective). So, Mi estas dormema.

You can find a list of affixes in Esperanto at Word-Building with Esperanto Affixes.

Also see dormema on Wiktionary.

• Aha, of course! I’ll have to brush up on my affixes. – user428 Oct 9 at 21:11

Sleepy means “a little bit tired”, so another option could be laceta.

I'm under the impression that, at least in Europe, the preferred form is 'dormavida'.

• I think -avida as a suffix means that you have a long-term tendency towards the root (like manĝavida could mean greedy). This is also one of the meanings of -em. In this case in English sleepy is only a temporary inclination to sleep (ie, a bit tired) so I don’t think dormavida makes sense. Maybe a better translation of dormavida would be something like sleepyhead. – Neil Roberts Nov 5 at 14:31
  • Compound words in Esperanto often have an adaptive meaning. For example, ‘vortaro’ is not just a set of words, but a DICTIONARY, and ‘arbaro’ is not just a set of trees, but a FOREST, and so on. Also, it seems to me that ‘dormema’ is more likely to describe a ‘sleepyhead’ (using the sense that you yourself acknowledge) than would ‘dormavida’, with ‘dormavida’ being, by adaptation, more suitable for focusing on the ‘momentary life-situation’ (to use the terminology of Kurt Lewin). – EulerSpoiler Nov 6 at 17:25

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.