I can't find a translation for 'turnabout' in the standard Esperanto sources, and Google Translate throws up its hands at it.

There are two possible meanings to this, one is "to turn around" and another is the more idiomatic expression of turning the tables on a situation, for example in the phrase "turnabout is fair play". See Merriam-Webster for this expression.

I think it would be helpful to clarify what the English word means because I don’t think it’s very common and it has a few different meanings in Wiktionary. If you just want the sense of “to turn around” maybe returniĝi would work? – Neil Roberts Nov 20 '18 at 17:07
  • That's what I was going to go with. – EulerSpoiler Nov 20 '18 at 17:12
    Can you please give more context? The translation will depend heavily on what surrounds it. – Andrew Woods Nov 21 '18 at 9:23
  • Do you mean roundabout? – Christophe Strobbe Feb 15 at 17:58
  • @ChristopheStrobbe: No, I didn't. – EulerSpoiler Feb 15 at 23:36

Google Translate is not a good source to check. I would recommend the annotated dictionary at esperanto.me. For "Turn about is fair play" it lists ĉiu laŭ sia vico. For other meanings of "turnabout", I would suggest using a thesaurus and checking those words in the annotated dictionary.

http://www.esperanto-me.org/dic/index.php?english=!turn+about+is+fair+play

• How is that annotated dictionary not in violation of copyright? – EulerSpoiler Nov 26 '18 at 23:16

Based on the comment saying that the intended meaning is “to turn around”, I suggest returniĝi. It appears in PIV with the following definition:

returniĝi. turni sin en kontraŭa direkto

And here is an example of it being used in this sense from the book Marta:

Tion dirante, li leviĝis kaj kun etenditaj brakoj rigardis la forirantan virinon.

— Fratino! — li ekkriis ankoraŭ unu fojon, — Mario! ha, ne forlasu min!

Mario ne returniĝis kaj estis jam apud la pordo de la antaŭĉambro.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.