I can't find 'entrechat' in the standard sources, and Google Translate throws its hands up at it.

Can you give more context? This is a ballet term, and if that is the topic you may as well just put it in italics. Sometimes however it is used as a sarcastic expression for an ordinary jump. – Andrew Woods Nov 21 at 9:26

I think the word you are looking for is kapriolo. According to PIV:

kapriolo

1 Kaprica, petola salto en kapra maniero.

2 Salto, dum kiu dancisto kunfrapas la piedojn.

3 Salto, dum kiu ĉevalo, estante en la aero, kalcitras.

• I don’t know anything about ballet, but it sounds like entrechat is a very specific dance move where the dancer jumps and crosses the legs rather than just hitting the feet together. I wonder if kapriolo is more like cabriole which seems to be a different move. Both words are related to goats jumping around. – Neil Roberts Nov 22 at 10:31
  • I suspect that the Spanish-Esperanto Dictionary translates it as kapriolo (loosely describing it as a kind of jump in dance) because it is not a technical dictionary about the art of dancing. I think the word may be useful if the context is not going too much into ballet technicalities. For the technical definition you may use entrechat as is, in Esperanto, according to Terminaro de klasika dancado. – Vidamuzo Nov 22 at 15:26

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.