I can't find 'entrechat' in the standard sources, and Google Translate throws its hands up at it.

  • 1
    Can you give more context? This is a ballet term, and if that is the topic you may as well just put it in italics. Sometimes however it is used as a sarcastic expression for an ordinary jump. Nov 21, 2018 at 9:26

1 Answer 1


I think the word you are looking for is kapriolo. According to PIV:


1 Kaprica, petola salto en kapra maniero.

2 Salto, dum kiu dancisto kunfrapas la piedojn.

3 Salto, dum kiu ĉevalo, estante en la aero, kalcitras.

  • I don’t know anything about ballet, but it sounds like entrechat is a very specific dance move where the dancer jumps and crosses the legs rather than just hitting the feet together. I wonder if kapriolo is more like cabriole which seems to be a different move. Both words are related to goats jumping around.
    – Neil Roberts
    Nov 22, 2018 at 10:31
  • 1
    I suspect that the Spanish-Esperanto Dictionary translates it as kapriolo (loosely describing it as a kind of jump in dance) because it is not a technical dictionary about the art of dancing. I think the word may be useful if the context is not going too much into ballet technicalities. For the technical definition you may use entrechat as is, in Esperanto, according to Terminaro de klasika dancado.
    – Vidamuzo
    Nov 22, 2018 at 15:26
  • Mi pensas, ke estas malĝoja rezigni la katon por la kapro ;) Dec 29, 2018 at 20:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.