Learning Esperanto on Lernu.net, I've found that suffix -ej- is for space for placing something.

There are examples from this site:

lerni → lernejo = school
dormi → dormejo = bedroom
eliri → elirejo = exit
libro → librejo = book store

The first three are obvious. But the last is not. I think that a space for placing books is something like a book depository. "Library" is not exact: In a library we can get books. A book store, in my opinion, is the place where books are being sold. Placing books there is not the main purpose of this space.

So, why librejo is not as straightforward as other -ej-words?

I think “dormejo” and “librejo” are maybe just examples of the “ejo” suffix and don’t have such a precise meaning depending on the context. I learned the words “dormoĉarmbro” and “librovendejo” for these concepts. – Neil Roberts Feb 25 at 8:35

Other examples

bakejo = bakery

Now form -ej' (ejo = loko) stems mainly from German -(er)ei (in French -erie and in English -ery).

bakejo = Bäckerei = backery = boulangerie
buĉejo = Metzgerei = butcher (store) = boucherie

So that the place is a store will be the case for sufficient -ej usages.

In fact librejo originally was used for the library (as building) too. For that however biblioteko nowadays is used.

There is also a famous (in linguistics) example of the opposite:

malsanulejo = hospitalo = hospital
hundejo = kennel

Here malsanulejo did gain the upper hand, and hospitalo is rare.

What might have irritated you, is that most versions have a verbal stem - not so librejo. That is not needed: malsanulejo.

Alia ekzemplo kun 'ejo': necesejo ! – Dominik Cornice Feb 26 at 6:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.