How to translate "plain text" in an IT/CS context, not referring to the cryptographic meaning (non-cyfer text) but just as opposed to "rich text" (such as RTF, MS Word or LibreOffice Writer) and as opposed to "binary" formats (such as BMP)?

Komputeka and Vikipedio suggest "plata teksto" for that meaning, but is that the accepted and most-understood way to express this in Esperanto?

Kelkaj homoj tradukas "plain text" per "kruda teksto". Mi trovas tiun tradukon pli bona pro la klara signifo de "kruda":

(ReVo) (grasigo de mi)

Tia, kia la naturo ĝin produktis, konservanta sian primitivan staton; a) Neprilaborita, nepreparita, nekulturita

Mi ne komprenas kiel "plata teksto" estas "plata". Sed ja ekzistas homoj kiuj tradukas tiel.

The English adjective "plain" can have various meanings depending on context. I suspect that "plata teksto" comes from interpreting it as "flat" or "level" (meaning No. 1 here), but in my opinion there's nothing inherently more "flat" about plain text than about other types / formats of text in IT.

I think "simple" (meaning No. 2 here, actually having "plain text" listed as sub-meaning 2.5) fits the intended properties better, but "simpla teksto" would probably be mistaken to refer to the complexity (or lack thereof) of the text's content or phrasing. I find sub-meaning 2.4 (of food) quite close in concept:

Having only few ingredients, or no additional ingredients or seasonings; not elaborate, without toppings or extras.

And if I had to invent or establish a new term to capture that, I think it'd be "pur-teksto" / "purteksto" or "pura teksto". And indeed, another vikipedio article uses just that: Listo de finaĵoj de dosiernomo

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.