I'm looking for a particular meaning of this word. Online I found these English definitions:

"Food that is prepared in a particular way."

"A particular variety or preparation of food: Sushi is a Japanese dish."

I would use the word plado. As well as being a type of large plate to carry food, PIV has this definition:

1. Ĉiu el la diversaj mangaĵoj, kiuj konsistigas menuon: en la restoracioj oni rajtis nur unupladan manĝon.

Translation:

1. All of the diverse foods that make up a menu: in restaurants one was only allowed a one-dish meal

I think the example shows it being used in the way you intended. The two meanings match the English word which can also mean a type of plate used to carry the food.

| improve this answer | |
  • I think plado is the best word if it is easy to guess that you are talking about food. Otherwise use manĝaĵo. (After all, a yakimono-zara is a plado of a sort, but not a manĝaĵo.) – Andrew Woods Sep 6 '16 at 9:53

JC Wells gives kuirado as a translation of cuisine, which might be a better fit if you're talking about the origin of a dish. For example, Suŝio estas ano de japana kuirado.

| improve this answer | |
  • Question: could you go one further and say Suŝio estas japana kuiradano? – Oliver Mason Sep 6 '16 at 11:37
  • I learned through lernu.net that "kuirado" means "cooking". The whole phrase was "Lia sxatokupo estas kuirado" or something similar. – Antonia Montaro Sep 7 '16 at 13:35
  • What about "kuirajxo"? That would make a cousine a kuirajxaro – Antonia Montaro Sep 7 '16 at 13:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.