How to translate "infusion", i.e. a medical treatment in which liquid substances are delivered through a hollow needle directly into the body.

(E.g. interstitial / subcutaneous infusion a.k.a. Hypodermoclysis or intravenous infusion a.k.a. "drip".)

(The German word "Infusion" is less ambiguous than the English one.)

  • Wikidata has "intravejna terapio" as Esperanto name of the treatment, but is there a term that can be used independently of whether it's done as a therapy or not?
    – das-g
    Jun 5, 2019 at 8:01
  • Context / Motivation: This comment of mine in the Duolingo forum.
    – das-g
    Jun 5, 2019 at 8:02
  • 1
    Also there is a difference between intravenous infusion (like a drip) and an intravenous injection (infusion is usually diluted in a carrier and much more diluted while an injection is a direct and fairly quick delivery). And both would count as "intravejna terapio". Jun 5, 2019 at 8:58
  • @ShaynePower Yeah, I think I'm really looking for the meaning captured by the German word "Infusion" which neither includes the meaning of "Spritze"/"Injektion" (e.g. a flue shot) nor that of "Aufguss"/"Kräutertee" (herbal tea and similar hot-water extractions).
    – das-g
    Jun 5, 2019 at 20:36

3 Answers 3


How about "gutado" as in "intravejna gutado?". That would mean we could also use "subhaŭta gutado". Ŝi ricevas salon per intravejna gutado.

  • Is that based on more than the similarity/relation between the English words "drip" and "drop"? Would it be understood (with the intended meaning) by non-English-speaking Esperantists?
    – das-g
    Jun 5, 2019 at 20:38
  • It's an educated guess. And I google-translated a non-English wiki article about it into Esperanto and that's the sort of thing that came up. And in Esperanto "drip" and "drop" use the same root. I figured it made sense because that's basically how an infusion limits the rate of administration, by literally giving it a drop at a time. Hence: gutado - dripping. Jun 6, 2019 at 1:36
  • Ah, I fear that it might be Google translate artefact then. Sometimes one sees effects of English idioms or English homonyms even in Google translations from one non-English language to another non-English language. Thus I'd refrain from using that translation if it cannot be sourced by human-authored texts or dictionary entries.
    – das-g
    Jun 6, 2019 at 7:23

I would translate "intravenous infusion" as envejna infuzo.

The Plena Ilustrita Vortaro does not give a medical definition for infuzi, and seems to assign that meaning to perfuzi instead. The problem is that "infusion" and "perfusion" are not synonyms in English-language medical literature, as the latter uses an exterior pump as a replacement for normal circulation; but in French, "perfusion" is used for both.

Since Hradil's Esperanta Medicina Terminaro does however make this distinction, I think it is okay to use infuzo for medical infusions.


From word roots, suffixes and prefixes:


The action being done is inputting or injecting: enmet-

accusative noun

The thing being inputted is some sort of liquid: ialikvaĵ-


The liquid is being injected into the skin or body: korpo or haŭto

What it is

an act or process so the word will end in -o


ialikvaĵenkorpmeto = Process in which some kind of liquid is inserted into a body

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.