The only place where I had to write 218 with "ducent dek ok" was in Lernu! and Duolingo. I never had to write any number in letters outside of a learning course. When people can write "dek sepa", they often write 17a, since it is probably quicker to read.

• Most likely, English convention dictates - if it can be represented with one word, you spell it, and if it can't, you use the digits. Commented Sep 7, 2016 at 15:24
  • Shouldn't that be 17-a (with a dash)? Commented Sep 8, 2016 at 8:09
    @LyubomirVasilev I have seen both and there are no rules about that, as far as I know.
    – Vanege
    Commented Sep 8, 2016 at 11:09

2 Answers 2

In official documents, for big amounts, you use numbers and letters, to avoid mistakes (while reading or writing). For example, when you sell your house, it's better to write something like: EUR 234000 (ducent tridek kvar mil eŭroj) (if you forget writing a zero, we are sure there is a mistake)

Here are the rules of the magazine MONATO. They are based on the actual use:

Nombrojn de nulo ĝis dek oni skribas per literoj, se ne temas pri decimaloj. Oni skribas per ciferoj la pli altajn kvantojn: ses-cilindra motoro, dek eŭroj sed inter la 11 unuaj, oni vendis 16 450 ekzemplerojn. Pro kohereco oni skribas ĉiujn kvantojn de la sama serio per ciferoj, se almenaŭ unu estas pli granda ol dek: 5 libroj, 9 kajeroj kaj 15 skribiloj.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.