“Running in place”, meaning to exercise by doing the motion of running when one might (for some reason…) be unable to go anywhere.

One proposal I’ve heard is kuri surloke. But surloke has been used to mean “on-location”, as in catering or cinematography; if it seems clear in context, I’m okay with that, but I’m not sure it is clear.

Kuri senmove seems like nonsense, as is kuri with various adverbial forms of halt- (halte, haltade, haltante, etc.).

Kuri nenien means something else, but it made me wonder: kuri senmove would mean “run without moving (making any motion)”, which is nonsensical, but perhaps, “kuri senmoven” might be acceptable? Or kuri senloken?

Reading a physics text I got the sense that Esperanto doesn’t have good words for “motion” meaning a change of position as distinct from “motion” meaning, for instance, waving one’s hands around—that sort of motion is usually expressed via talking about traveling or using verbs of motion.

• kuri surloke is good! As for the two "motions", you could ask that as a new question. I'm not sure what it is you feel you cannot express in Esperanto. – Eduardo Trápani Apr 19 at 20:02
  • @EduardoTrápani My search for surloke found a use of “danci surloke”, but every other published use of it I could find meant “on-location”, not “in-place”. As for what I meant by what I can express, take a look at, for instance, eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vektora_rapido — perhaps it is written poorly, but other physics texts I’ve seen also use circumlocutions to specify “change of position” as a thing separate from motions that could just be gestuoj. – Trey Apr 19 at 20:09
  • Could you ask that in a new question? With two examples of what you would to say in English (the two different sentences) and how you think it folds into just one verb. It looks interesting, but some people might not see it buried in comments. By the way, that article could use some revision. – Eduardo Trápani Apr 19 at 20:22

There is no one-to-one relation between any two languages, even less between English with lots of synonyms and Esperanto which tries to avoid them. So you should first little clarify what do you want to express with "running in place".

If taken literally, I understand it to mean moving feet like you were running but remaining more or less in the same spot. As you do in sport exercises when you test how quickly you can accelerate. This is kuri surloke or senmove.

If taken figuratively, I understand it to mean stagnation, lack of progress. There is a verb stagni which means

1. restadi senflua : stagnanta akvo
  2. restadi senmova, senaga, malaktiva : la komerco stagnas

Or perhaps senprogresa could suit into your context.

| improve this answer | |
  • Yes, I meant literally, for exercise. – Trey Apr 19 at 20:05
  • And the problem here isn’t a lack of synonyms, it’s the opposite problem: in English, depending on context, the word “motion” means both formal motion—a change in location, the derivative of velocity—and conceptual motion. There’s no particular word meaning one and not the other. If the same is not true in Esperanto—if there are two words that are unambiguous—it’s unclear to me what those are. – Trey Apr 19 at 20:13

kuri surloke estas bona solvo.

Ekzemploj el Tekstaro:

Li dancis surloke, centre de la rondo.

... ankoraŭ svarmis surloke konstrulaboristoj

la gasto faris kelkajn paŝojn surloke
| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.