Is it grammatically valid to say «antaŭ tio, ke» in place of «antaŭ ol»? For example, instead of this.

La monado ŝtelis mian kukon antaŭ ol mi povis rimarki [tion].

Could one say this instead, where «tio» represents the subclause?

La monado ŝtelis mian kukon antaŭ tio, ke mi povis rimarki [tion].

I am aware that «antaŭ tio, ke» has like no hits in the Tekstaro (I think), so I am only asking about grammatical correctness as opposed to good speaking habits. Was just curious about whether such a construction makes sense, and, if it does, whether it would have the same meaning as «antaŭ ol».

1 Answer 1

According to PMEG it could be perfectly logic to say antaŭ tio ke in place of antaŭ ol, although the second is vastly used and for that reason preferable to the other, in order to avoid misunderstandings.

PMEG: 33.7. Aliaj subfrazoj – apenaŭ, dum, ĝis, kvankam, kvazaŭ, ol

Logikaj estus ankaŭ antaŭ ke (= antaŭ tio ke), kaj post ke (= post tio ke), sed tiuj esprimoj ne estas praktike uzataj. Estas rekomendinde uzi antaŭ ol kaj post kiam, ĉar ili estas plej facile komprenataj ĝuste pro sia kutimeco.

• I kind of like "antaŭ ke" and "post ke" because they seem more "regular" than "antaŭ ol" and "post kiam", because they both use "ke" instead of differing. I wonder why "antaŭ ol" and "post kiam" are more common. May 8, 2020 at 15:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.