How do I properly translate the English word ‘edgy’, meaning ‘overly provocative or unconventional’? For example:

• I hate your brother, he's always so edgy!

• The film would be nice, but they tried too hard to be edgy, which really killed the mood for me.

• Hi and welcome to Esperanto Language. Sorry, but I have to ignore your request to leave your question's source as XHTML. Stack Exchange's spirit is that user can improve each other's content, and unnecessary embedded HTML makes that much harder. – das-g Jun 10 at 14:45
    @das-g. Saluton, and thanks for fixing the tag. Just to clarify: this an invitation for me to always write in non-tagged Markdown on the Esperanto SE, and not just a one-off correction, right? – Ainar-G Jun 10 at 15:58
    Saluton kaj bonvenon! Yes, please refrain from using HTML tags where the same can be achieved with tag-free MarkDown. (And for stuff that would only work with tags, most often those tags are filtered away by Stack Exchange, anyway, so there's not much use for them.) There are some situations, where actually using HTML tags makes things simpler for all, but those are rare. When one of those situations occurs, feel free to use appropriate HTML tags, but otherwise please try to stick to MarkDown without HTML tags or at least as few tags as possible. – das-g Jun 10 at 16:05
    Komprenite, dankon. – Ainar-G Jun 10 at 16:08

You could use konvenci/. For example:

konvencirompa
nekonvencia
nekonvenciema
konvencilima
preterkonvencia

spita or defia could also cover it, either by themselves or in a compound word.

| improve this answer | |
  • I like ‘spita’. It feels like the right word for most contexts where ‘edgy’ is used in a negative sense. – Ainar-G Jun 11 at 15:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.