I was wondering why some Esperantists use "x" system(it is not in Esperanto Alphabet) instead of "h" (that is in Esperanto alphabet). It shouldn't be promoted "h", regularized or something like that?

Probably because ‘x’ is not in the Esperanto alphabet, so there is never ambiguity. – Joffysloffy Aug 20 at 5:52
  • Now I am wondering if you are asking this because of a misunderstanding. Neither the x nor the h are used as real letters, they are just used as an alternative to typing the letters ĥ ŝ ĝ ĉ ĵ and ŭ in cases where that is difficult. It wouldn’t make sense to consider x a letter of the alphabet any more than you would consider ^ a letter. It doesn’t have its own pronunciation. – Neil Roberts Aug 20 at 8:57
  • 'H' IS a letter in esperanto so there is the potential for ambiguity ('chashundo' could be 'ĉashundo' or 'ĉaŝundo'). Since 'x' isn't a letter there is no ambiguity. It's pretty simple. If you use 'h' you're adding ambiguity to a language intended to be free of ambiguity. – jastako Sep 4 at 1:56

Two arguments I have encountered for preferring "x" to "h":

• Because it is not an existing letter in the Esperanto alphabet, automated conversion is possible, e.g. sx could be unambiguously converted to ŝ. By contrast, even if combinations like -sh- are rare, they could occur in compound words e.g. dishaki, so sh cannot be reliably converted to ŝ (similarly senchava, flughaveno, etc).

• Because it is so near the end of the alphabet, it is almost always the case that a naive lexical sorting will achieve correct alphabetical order. So for example, a naive sorting would put sxi after sorto (which would be correct, because ŝi comes after sorto), but would put shi before sorto. This only fails when a letter to which an accent could be applied is followed by z; for example a naive sort would misorder uxato (ŭato) and uzi, but such occurrences are very rare.

| improve this answer | |

People tend to prefer the x-system exactly because it isn’t a letter in the Esperanto alphabet, so there is no risk of confusion. For example if you see the word flughaveno you might first ask yourself ‘what is a fluĝo?’ before recognising the word. With the X-system there is no such ambiguity.

These days the hats are pretty widely supported in browsers and most software, and it’s usually not too difficult to install some software to help type them, so both systems are less and less common.

• It's actually so easy today, that a user who hasn't solved the issue for their device is often looked at with a pity. – Juha Metsäkallas Aug 20 at 12:03
    The x-sistem is also more practical when alphabetizing a list in a computer, for example file names. Hatted letters always follow their plain siblings and x (unlike h) comes after most esperanto-letters in the English alphabet. Compare how segho/segxo is placed in a list with segilo. – Antonia Montaro Aug 21 at 17:22
  • @AntoniaMontaro, if you do that, you are alphabetizing Esperanto wrong. La ĉapelitaj letters are sorted separately i.e. first all c words, then all ĉ and so on. – Juha Metsäkallas Aug 24 at 9:30
  • @JuhaMetsäkallas I think alani's answer explains it in more detail. In most cases words will be correctly sorted. – marcus Sep 8 at 14:40
  • "Most cases" is not enough ,say, for word list in a vocabulary. The alphabetical order should be unambiguous. See the project CLDR for exact alphabetical orders. – Juha Metsäkallas Sep 8 at 17:13

I personally prefer the more natural h (ch, sh) and such a notation was proposed as alternative for Esperanto letters. In the newer times the alternative with x was introduced with as argument: automatic translation. As chashundo was ambiguous chas-hundo. Try reta-vortaro.de with x's.

It is a subcultural phenomenon I think. Like accented characters are very dear to the language users. German without umlauts, a French café without accent droite, Spanish ñ. Even English borrowing façade.

Both are legal and understood. So use h with hyphens (chas-hundo) if it pleases. Meanwhile I am content to use x too.

By the way for smartphones one can install Esperanto support for the letters.

• the point is using 'chashundo' instead of cx/sx etc; introduces kind of the same problem that Japanese has. The word 'し' (shi) can be 'four' (四) or 'death' (死). If it is typed in hiragana instead of kanji (as it would be for elementary school students) you can't tell the difference. That has actually resulted in a superstition in Japan where it's considered a bad omen to give somebody four of anything. – jastako Sep 4 at 15:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.