If I'm not mistaken the "capped" letters come from how Slavic languages are transliterated/written using the Latin alphabet, so why is the ĉ used instead of č when Slavic languages would use the former rather than the latter? Also they generally use ž instead of ĵ, so why is ĵ used?

Using Serbian romanization:

ч > č instead of ĉ

џ > dž instead of ĝ

х > h instead of ĥ (why not 'ȟ'?)

ж > ž instead of ĵ

ш > š instead of ŝ

ў > ŭ? instead of ŭ

using this system "eĥoŝanĝo ĉiuĵaŭde" would be: "eȟošandžo čiužaŭde"

1 Answer 1

Why "hats" (circumflexes, ˆ) instead of carons (ˇ)?

If I'm not mistaken The "capped" letters come from how slavic languages are transliterated/written using the latin alphabet, so why is the ĉ used instead of č when slavic languages would use the former rather than the latter?

According to section "origin" of the article "Esperanto orthography" in the English wikipedia:

The script resembles Western Slavic Latin alphabets but uses circumflexes instead of carons for the letters ĉ, ĝ, ĥ, ĵ, and ŝ. [...]

Zamenhof took advantage of the fact that typewriters for the French language (which, in his lifetime, was still a kind of international lingua franca for educated people) possess a dead key for the circumflex and umlaut/diaeresis diacritics: thus, anyone who could avail himself of a French typewriter could type ĉ ĝ ĥ ĵ ŝ and their uppercase counterparts with no problem.

Why ĵ instead of (or )?

Also they generally use ž instead of ĵ, so why is ĵ used?

According to the same Wikipedia section:

Also, the non-Slavic bases of the letters ĝ and ĵ, rather than Slavic and ž, help preserve the printed appearance of Latinate and Germanic vocabulary such as ĝenerala "general" (adjective) and ĵurnalo "journal".

• I did read that before, but I guess I had forgotten. Ĝ is better for dʒ anyway, since dž would be 2 letters for that sound instead of one.
    – jastako
    Sep 20, 2020 at 0:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.