On Duolingo I got a question wrong because I used trovas instead of trovi; then, I got the next one wrong because I did the opposite.

When should I use trovi and when should I instead use trovas?

Do you remember what the sentences were? Dec 1, 2020 at 1:34
  • It would help to have the sentences you got wrong, because there is very little actual context to your question. If it's ok with you, could you mention one of the languages you regularly use? It doesn't have to be your native language. Dec 1, 2020 at 13:17

1 Answer 1

trovas is what you would normally use. The -as ending means that it is in the present tense. For example:

I find trees in the garden -> Mi trovas arbojn en la ĝardeno

You would use trovi in cases where it is being used in combination with another verb. This is called the infinitive. In English the infinitive is sometimes the to form (like to find) and sometimes the -ing form (like finding). For example:

I like finding trees -> Mi ŝatas trovi arbojn

In this case the main verb is ŝatas. That one is in the present tense so it ends with -as. The second verb trovi doesn’t have its own tense and it’s only used in conjuction with the main verb. Therefore it is in the infinitive and it ends with -i.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.