It’s not in Wells, Benson, Vikivortaro, nor Reta Vortaro.

Here's the link to the Merriam-Webster entry on it: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/outre

Care to define what you mean by that and add some context, maybe an example sentence? An English equivalent might be helpful too. – Eduardo Trápani Dec 14 '20 at 0:02
    A sentence is good because usually we translate ideas, meanings. The translation might even depend on usage (happy: gaja, feliĉa, senzorga,...). It's hard, or near impossible to translate outre without context, given your definition: "bizarre, bizarro, cranky, crazy, curious, eccentric, erratic, far-out, funky, funny, kinky, kooky (also kookie), odd, off-kilter, off-the-wall, offbeat, out-of-the-way, outlandish, peculiar, quaint, queer, queerish, quirky, remarkable, rum [chiefly British], screwy, spaced-out, strange, wacky (also whacky), way-out, weird, weirdo, wild" – Eduardo Trápani Dec 16 '20 at 23:47
  • All of the above. What I'm wanting is the 'missing entry' in Benson. – EulerSpoiler Dec 18 '20 at 7:49
  • I'm not an English native speaker but I think that "aŭdaca" may be a suitable single word translation for "violating convention or propriety". As always, by the way, it depends on the context. – etuardu Dec 24 '20 at 19:48
  • You want "all of the above" translations? Search them words in a dictionary. Otherwise provide context. – vesperto Dec 29 '20 at 16:10

To me, "outré " means "outlandish", which I translate as "bizara".

In this article in The Economist - https://tinyurl.com/yhu658mm - , "outré " appears in the same context as "wacky" (arlekeneca, literally: "clownish") and "daft" (ridinda).

Mi dirus «fia» sed ankaŭ uzus «fi-» por aliigi la signifon de la vorto laŭ via bezono. Ekzemple: His outré outburst was embarrassing to his wife. -> Lia fiekkrio estis embarasa por sia edzino. AŬ Lia fia ekkrio estis embarasa por sia edzino.

Angle:

I would say «fia» but also would use «fi-» to modify the meaning of the word to your need. For example: His outré outburst was embarrassing to his wife. -> Lia fiekkrio estis embarasa por sia edzino. OR Lia fia ekkrio estis embarasa por sia edzino.

Mi foje aŭdis "skurila/e"

New contributor
Zirp is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
    Bonvenon ĉe Esperanto Language Stack Exchange! Can you give more details where or from whom you've heard "skurila" / "skurile"? Might it be a term used only by an individual or a small group, or have you observed more widespread usage? Does it occur in any dictionaries? (I've found it in neither PIV nor ReVo yet.) – das-g Apr 17 at 21:23
    Eble estas germanismo. Verdire, mi neniam aúdis la vorton "outré" en la angla, kaj ne certas pri ties signifo – Zirp Apr 18 at 3:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.