If someone says, I saw him eat the food, how would one translate it? My best guess is Mi vidis, ke li manĝantis la manĝaĵon.

You can just say Mi vidis lin manĝi la manĝaĵon.

A close alternative is Mi vidis lin manĝantan la manĝaĵon.

Obviously you could substitute nutraĵon or a more specific word if you didn't like the repetition of manĝ-.

Your guess means "I saw that someone was (in the process of) eating the food." Iu means "someone" and the -ant- reinforces the idea that the action was ongoing. "Someone had eaten it" is Iu jam manĝis ĝin or Iu manĝintis ĝin.

| improve this answer | |
    To back up the suggestion with some examples, you can search for " vidis [lŝ]in [a-zĥŝĝĉĵŭ]+i\b " en tekstaro.com. There are many results, for example "Mi neniam vidis ŝin plori" from La Ŝtona Urbo. – Neil Roberts Sep 13 '16 at 7:41
  • *Mi vidis lin mangxanta" works as well; the nuance between this and "mi vidis lin mangxantan" is somewhat subtle; with the -n means I saw him, who was eating (adjective agreement), and without the -n means I saw him when he was eating (predicate nominative). I wish I could explain this a little clearer, but I'm not succeeding very well :-/. – kristan Sep 13 '16 at 7:45
  • Whoops! I'll edit my question to make the sentence match. – Clayton Ramsey Sep 13 '16 at 12:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.