Example sentence

Li laboras kiel en la universitato.

Instruado-helpanto does not look natural to me. subprelegonto looks more native but is long.

Is it a good translation? Are there any other options?

Dankon!

2 Answers 2

Oficiala aldono 8 lists the verb asisti for which PIV gives the derivative asistanto with a Zamenhofian example Li ricevis la oficon de asistanto ĉe la profesoro.

When I studied at university all assistants were just assistants, whether they held exercises or assisted in research, most did both. So asistanto should be enough in most cases. If you need to specify that a certain assistant helps only at teaching, I would say asistanto pri instruado after the example profesoro pri retoriko in PIV.

• Thank you! This is helpful
    – leoelazio
    Commented Feb 20, 2023 at 3:16

I'm a teaching assistant myself, as part of my job as a "Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter" (scientific employee) at a university of applied sciences. I don't know whether any official term exists for that kind of position in Esperanto, but when I talk about that aspect of my job in Esperanto, I usually use the term "instruist-helpanto" (teacher's helper), as the main responsibility for the course rests with the lecturer, but I'm tasked with helping them by preparing some of the teaching material, guiding exercise lessons, giving feedback on the lectures etc.

Instruado-helpanto does not look natural to me.

You don't really need the "-ad·" suffix in there, as the focus on duration doesn't really affect the "helping" with the task. Instru(-)helpanto or instruo(-)helpanto are thus sufficient to express almost the same.

subprelegonto looks more native but is long.

"-ont·" is the suffix for a future active participle. You'd probably want "-ant·" for someone who actually holds (and works in) a position, rather than just being designated for it. I'd expect a subpreleganto to actually hold either a part of a course's lectures or even all of them (under the supervision of the official lecturer), which a teaching assistant wouldn't necessarily have to do. (Of course this can depend on the school / university and even on the individual course.) So while this might be a good term for teaching assistants actually tasked with holding lectures, I don't think it can be used as a general translation of "teaching assistant".

• Very clear explanations! Dankon
    – leoelazio
    Commented Feb 20, 2023 at 3:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.