I can't find ANY info on this. Everything is about cardinal directions, and basic prepositions.

What I'm looking for is how to express orientation towards something. Some of the English phrases that come to mind:

facing away from/with ones back towards something facing towards with something to the left/right of one

I can find no info ANYWAY in any dictionary or grammar on how to say such phrases. Regarding the third one, I don't think 'kun' would be appropriate. Using that to mean 'at the same time as' comes across as Euro-centric to me.

I've thought about phrasing it something like:

She stood in front of the box, the box behind her.

I don't know if such a compound sentence would be grammatical in Esperanto or not though, but at least it only uses terminology that can be found:

Sxi staris antaux la kesto, la kesto malauntaux sxi.

That comes across as ungrammatical to me though. Is there even a standard way to express phrases like these? I can't even really find a way to say 'facing towards/away from'.

• This might help: How to translate “facing right” Commented May 2 at 23:46
  • So, a phrase like "Sxi staris antau la kesto dorsinte gxin" would mean 'she is standing in front of the box facing away from it/her back to it?
    – user5616
    Commented May 3 at 0:12

1 Answer 1

She stood in front of the box, the box behind her.

Mi sugestas:

Ŝi staris dorse al la kesto

Se vi volas mencii kaj "antaŭ" kaj "dorse al", vi povus skribi ankaŭ:

Ŝi staris antaŭ la kesto, dorse al ĝi

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.