I just now discovered stackExchange, and as it still looks active to some degree, I decided to not let myself be held back by anachronism (the videos that let me here all date from 2017 ;) ) and ask my question. From what I understand, my question is kinda turning the tables, since most questions over here seem to come from Esperanto-beginners, and I am not... As a native Esperanto-speaker in the midst of Europe, live-esperanto-events are the usual way for me to enjoy the international company of friends and meeting interesting new people. This year I am co-organising a New Year's Youth event in Belgium (Junulara E-Semajno), and even though it is rather well-known among the 'core'-esperanto-youth community, I do believe there's many more people who are interested or even already learned this language, and who would definitely enjoy participating our event, if only they knew and got motivated enough to decide, plan and organise their trip and show up...

I think it is a pity that mainly the very same circles of friends keep coming every year, for whom it becomes a highlight in their year, and we seem to get used to this being the end goal... of course having fun together is what our meeting is all about, but I'd say it is only the bare minimum! It should just as well be an opportunity for new Esperanto-users to try out their skills in live, diverse settings with all kinds of people, which is very rare to experience with our 'small' language, other than when coming to major events (by which I mean at least say 100+ participants) such as JES and IJK...

Therefore I'd gladly read any suggestions of both strategic and small&practical kind, on how to attract more succesfully new, young (<36y) users of the language, whom we suspect to be quite numerous online, and whom I suspect we don not reach well enough through our first go-to information channels like Telegram groups, the EventaServo website and the TEJO-newsletters...

As the official (yet not always available...) 'communications officer' of our organisation team (wow, sounds way to pompous...), I've been thinking of

1. setting up more copy-paste analogue profiles and channels like the year-after-year recycled Facebookprofile and every year new Telegram group & [channel][9] we have... So I tried (but noticed that it took me a lot of work without understanding well how much it was worth it...) to make JES-profiles on [reddit][10], [X][11], [Discord][12], [Youtube][13]. Yet I am not yet convinced it would be worth actually distributing every official announcement through all those channels...
  2. how important a good reference website is, and noticed it's very hard to find a both competent and motivated person to set up and maintain such an 'ideal, multilingual' website for us...
  3. that more, and multilingual (at least by subtitles) video-material, specifically explaining the type, audience, and place of the event, might be worth investing in, specifically as it can then again be used as a reference in various types of publicity (QR-codes on posters, link sent to e-mails collected at public forums/cultural non-esperanto events, introduction to flash-presentations at schools or universities...)
  4. setting up some physical or hybrid Esperanto-course from about september on, with actual people from the region (like myself) teaching/coming by, to guide or assist in a 'timed' Esperanto-learning effort with the perspective of participating JES as a concrete goal/use for holding on to the series of lessons/beginner's meetings...

Ideas are actually more abundant than people and time to realise them all, currently. Nevertheless - or rather therefore all the more - would I gladly hear what new Esperantists (who either first encountered Esperanto on the internet, or haven't assisted to any live-event to date at all) would most percieve as inviting, facilitating or even convincing, if they were/are not (yet) aware of the fun they're 'missing out on' (with all respect to the fun you might be satisfied by online - just another viewpoint, mine is).

Kaj cetere, mi pridubis ĉu pli indas starigi ĉi tiun demandon en Esperanto, sed decidis ke praktike finfine en la Angla ĝi probable estus komprenata de plej multaj legantoj, do jen. Tamen mi evidente same volonte ricevus respondojn en Eo.

• I already saw a down-vote, and indeed this forum is rather for language questions. Nevertheless much luck with the "new" media. Maybe a more devious wording would have been acceptable to the forum goals.
    – Joop Eggen
    Commented Jun 3 at 20:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.