I found sunfrapo in PIV, but I can't find any evidence that this term is actually used for “sunburn”. The only examples I can find seem to refer to heat stroke.

(PIV lists both definitions.)

3 Answers 3


In my practical experience I always heard sunbruliĝo.

sunbruliĝo is the sunburn on the skin. sunfrapo I would understand as the german "Sonnenstich", a kind of heat-stroke. It's a sickness, dizziness kind of thing, caused by heating of the brain skin, or something like that.

  • 1
    I think that "sunfrapo" is a calque of the French "coup de soleil", which is the usual idiom for "sunbruliĝo". Commented Feb 2, 2017 at 14:52

I'm pretty sure that sunbruno is actually suntan and sunbrulo is sunburn.

Bruli is intransitive. I think brulo here must refer to the sensation of burning:

  • Mi sunbrulas. I am sunburnt. (That is, "I am burning on account of the sun.")

  • Mi sunbruliĝas. I am getting sunburnt.

  • Mi havas sunbrulon. I have sunburn.

And it would work the same way for sunbruno.

More generally, a burn is a brulvundo ("burn wound").

Sunbruliĝo is "solar combustion", and is awkward to justify here (unless the metaphor is that your skin has "caught fire"). In any case sunvundo would probably be a better term (Mi sunvundiĝis, etc.)

  • Is there a term in actual use, though? Of course, I thought of the literal "sunbruno" but it's not listed in PIV and not used in tekstaro.com. Commented Sep 15, 2016 at 14:09
  • 1
    I just checked Wells's dictionary and the entry for the English word tan is consistent with my examples: (sun)brun-igi, -iĝi, -o. Commented Sep 15, 2016 at 14:14
  • Perhaps I could have worded my question more clearly, but I was trying to ask about actual usage, not necessarily what's proposed in dictionaries. In Krause there's sunbrulumo - but it's not clear whether that one is in actual use either. And I made a typo in my previous comment. I meant that sunbrulo is not listed in PIV. Sunbruno certainly is. Commented Sep 15, 2016 at 14:17

JC Wells in his Esperanto Dictionary translates it as sunbruno, and, as you suggest, sunfrapo is a sunstroke.

  • 1
    Sunbruno would be "sun tan", wouldn't it? That's what PIV seems to be suggesting. Commented Sep 15, 2016 at 13:55
  • 3
    Wells uses the same word for both, probably because he's English. :) But yes, it should really be 'sun tan', and perhaps sunbrulo for a sunburn. Commented Sep 15, 2016 at 13:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.